Saturday 8 November 2014

Une Excursion d'une Journée à Caen

On Sunday 28th September, I spent the day in the French City called 'Caen'. The main reason I haven't actually written this until now is because I tend to do these using photos as a reminder of what I did, meaning I have to go through them, discard the blurred/hand/floor photos, pick and choose the good ones, and rotate about a third or more before I can even think about writing.

During my trip to Caen, I somehow managed to take 442 photos, so naturally it's taken me a while to get around to going through them. I've got it down to 180...

Anyway, here's a selection of the photos!

Cherbourg Train Station

A tower in Caen City Centre
There's a big market in Caen on Sunday mornings.
I arrived just before the end of it.
Flower Market
A French/British Restaurant, called 'Dolly's too'.
The Menu was in both French and English.
Fish and Chips!! First one I've found in France.
Rather more Salad/Coleslaw than a traditional British Fish & Chips,
but I'll let it slide this time.

Caen Castle from the outside

Caen Castle from the inside - more of a fort than a castle
(probably was bombed in the war or something)

View of the Cathedral and city from Caen Castle

Caen Castle and some beautiful blue skies

The Cathedral through the Castle gates


I think this was a museum - there were two here

The other Museum/Library
Very strange sculptures -  Mythical creatures made from metal on wooden posts...
The Statues from behind

Gate with steps leading downwards...

Caen Cathedral

A very old building (16th Century) on one of the high streets.
The Americans were amazed - American history isn't very old
so they're probably lucky to find anything from the 18th Century in the USA.

Plaque on the very old building

Little Café (Le 101) where we stopped for an afternoon snack.

Very tasty Chocolate Fondant Cake. Yum!

I feel like all my visits to foreign cities are dictated by the need to find toilets.
We finally found some free toilets - they looked quite nice on the outside...

Or not...

BRISTOL!

More Toilets. This time in Subway, and much much nicer!
A Memorial with a golden angel statue on top.
Looked very pretty with the oncoming sunset.

Another large church


A World War II Memorial Plaque with Fresh Flowers.

"Here lies the ashes gathered from the Nazi Camps"


No comments:

Post a Comment