Friday 5 December 2014

Noël est à Venir

Christmas Trees up at
Les Eleis Shopping Centre in November...
Last Sunday was the 1st Sunday of advent. Fran and Charly took the children to a special Catholic advent church service. In the afternoon here, the Christmas tree and decorations all went up. It's a bit earlier than I'm used to, but the lights and colours have brightened up what was a rather gloomy living room during winter afternoons.

On Friday 5th, Cherbourg's festive season also begun with the opening of the Christmas Markets and other festive entertainment (including a Luge and Ice Rink!). They actually have a full programme of interesting things going on! I have yet to actually go and look at it all set up so will probably do that at some point during the week.

More Christmas Trees at Les Eleis








Sadly the snow is not falling and it's just rather rainy so I'm not feeling overly festive.

Cherbourg's Christmas Luge being set up
I haven't started on Christmas shopping yet (no money!) but perhaps when I get started I'll feel a bit more Christmassy.

I'm part of the Cherbourg-Octeville Language Assistants Secret Santa. They've decided to do it via Elfster, a gift list style website via which you can set up gift exchanges. It's a nice idea, but as people specifically put what they want on it, and you have to spend a set amount, it seems a bit silly - one may as well just buy themselves a present for the allocated amount.

I've got someone who has only put one thing on their list, and it's under the (30euro!!) allowance. It's also something I can't get in the shops here and will therefore have to get it online - except that I can't because the website that sells it won't let me have my billing address and shipping address as different countries... Nightmare.

My Advent Candle finally arrived on 5th December. Thanks Mummy!
I've got the job of resident wrapper here
 because Fran can't wrap to save her life







Santa and a 'drop of blood'
- trying to get more people to donate blood
at the blood donation day round the corner
The Family Christmas tree
(They're in England for Christmas so this is just a small, fake one)

No comments:

Post a Comment